Sunday, May 29, 2005

Race Update

Memorial day weekend-
While my wife was partying with old college girlfriends in Manhattan, I traveled to Tallahassee, Florida for the Florida State Road Race (There is a state champion for all 3 diciplines of road racing; Criteriums, Road Races and Time Trials) as well as the "Team Atomic Criterium" which were held on Saturday and Sunday, respectivly.
With a field of 52 guys in the Road Race on saturday, I proved that my bronze medal in the State Criterium Championship was no fluke. Again I took the short step on the podium at the end of a very hot and HILLY State Road Race. With the finish line perched atop a 700 meter climb I patiently picked off a handful of guys to once again take the bronze.
I stayed in Tallahassee so I could race in Sunday's criterium as it would be my last race as a Catagory 5 cyclist (I upgraded to Cat.4). I don't know if it was due to the previous day's effort, or just a lack of energy; but I suffered like a dog for just about all of the 45-minute race (we averaged 24 mph!). Long story short, I placed myself in the top 5 coming out of the last corner and turned myself inside out in order to once again cross the line in 3rd!
So two podium finishes in two days is by far my best weekend of racing yet. Pictures will surely be posted at some point in the future, but in the meantime, try checking out:

http://www.insidecycling.com/results.shtml
or
http://www.insidecycling.com/news.shtml
to see if my results and/or podium pics are up there. You'll have to scroll to the cat.5 section.

1 comment:

natemaners said...

Way to go Paul. That's really cool news. I have just began my second year of Flare Bartending Competitions and was about to do pretty well. myself. My fisrt contest was in Eatonville at the Zora Neal Hurston Amputee Flare Competition. It was very easy because we had to use bottles of Hypnotic. No problem. The next day was a bit harder cause they took the bottles away and made us use 40oz. cans of Colt 45..

I didn't win. But I came in second behing the "one-armed wonder - Rufus Handoff. I beat one other guy.

Nate