Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Tour de Georgia starts TODAY!

Who will be crowned the next winner of the Tour de Georgia?

Will the Disco team be able to support Tommy D in his quest to repeat?

Will the other pro-tour teams in the field get the best of the home town teams?

CSC has brought a strong team to support Dave Zabriskie, but does he have the legs to stay with the pure climbers on the road to the top of Brasstown Bald?

Floyd has obviously been on form this season, but are there lingering effects from his crash in Europe which led to the decision not race in the Giro?

Quick-Step and Davitimon-Lotto are probably looking for stage wins, but will the domestic sprinters out perform them when it's time to drop the hammer?

With Saul Raisin out of the race, who's the front runner for the "Best Young Rider" jersey? Trent Lowe again? Will the TIAA-Cref boys ride as well as they are expected to? Look out for Tom Peterson and Craig Lewis.

It should be an interesting week. I'm going to be performing my sister-in-laws wedding ceremony in Reddington Beach this weekend and therefore will not be attending any of the stages this year. But I can promise you that I'll be glued to the computer when the racing gets underway.

For those of you making the pilgramage to the peach state, feel free to drop a line in the comment section to let us in, first hand, on how things are going. Be sure to note any run-ins with any super-star athletes you might come across.

4 comments:

5count said...

You can also email me pics from the TdG. My email info is on my profile page.

Editors note: all images submitted to 5count will be reviewed by the staff and posted only if deemed "blog-worthy".

Anonymous said...

Sorry you cannot make the trip Paul. I'm hoping to see Rodrigo run (crawl?) alongside the riders up Brasstown with his Mexican flag in tow.

Anonymous said...

I wonder about Landis. I keep thinking he'll hold back to save something for the TdF. But he ain't Lance. He probably has designs on winning everything he enters this year.

5count said...

biking bis,
I think deciding not to race in the Giro, is Floyd's version of holding back.
I think that he was so close to winning the TdG last year, that this year could almost be some form of redemption.