Friday, July 22, 2005

Teus/Thurs have gotten Hard!

I don't know about the rest of you who regularly attend the tues/thur ride from the Chevron station, but from my point of view...those rides have gotten brutal!
Thursday (7-21) saw a large group start the ride which averaged about 24+ mph in the first half of the ride. By the time we turned north on 239 there were only 8 of us. A new addition to the ride, a mountain biking stud (who's name I'm forgetting at the moment (maybe "Robert"?)) made the ride very fast and very hard. Luckily, Danny was on an easier ride with a friend and we all benefitted by not having him there to duel it out with the new guy.
Joe Brew pulled like an ox as usual and another new addition, Brett Miller from Team Florida, contributed to the pain with his own monster pulls. The only representative of the female gender, Susan, gets the "Stud of the Ride Award". Susan was always there through one of the most punishing rides we've had (or at least I've had) of late.
Cutting to the chase, the final selection saw Joe Brew, Scott, Ira and Brett go to the line with Joe getting around Brett at the line.
*as a side note: Joe will soon be leaving us to go back to college, and I think I speak for all of us when I say HE will be missed, but not his leg breaking attacks up the I-75 overpass!

In closing...I know I've slacked off on the Tour coverage, but just watching it has been a full time gig. After last weekend's two stages that saw such explosive riding, anything short of a 10-page essay wouldn't have done justice to those races. George Hincapie became the first teamate of Lance's to win a stage of the Tour de France since Armstrong started his winning streak in 1999. Paolo Savoldelli followed suit the other day with a win of his own!
It looks like Lance will retire at the top of his game on the 24th of July and the Disco boys seem to have everything in control, once again!


Who will win the Tour next year??? I know Dan is hoping for Jan, and Joe is partial to Basso; but I think it will be Huan!

No comments: