Thursday, July 14, 2005

Tuesday Ride (7-12)

Just to catch up on the GCC rides...
Tuesday evening saw 11 of us at the start. We dropped a few early on, mostly due to the 29.5 mph pace that Naked Ed was pulling at. Australian Jason jumped in the mix with his million dallar TT bike and tore things up a bit more; before we knew it the group had dwindled to 7 as we headed north on 239 into the Alachua hills.
Danny M. was taking strong, fast pulls at the front again which kept both the average speed and our heart rates high. Rodrigo decided to ride at his own pace, so then we were six. Joe Brew, Ira, Danny, Lambert, Ed and myself continued through the rolling hills. Shortly after we crossed back over 441 in Alachua, Joe Brew attacked up a little hill and put everyone in trouble, except Danny. I was able to grab Danny's wheel, but I wasn't feeling very strong. The already hard ride got even harder while riding with those two. They pushed the pace the whole way home as I sat at the back a little trying to recover and only pulled through a hand full of times, when I did take a pull it was usually short and lacked the power of my two break away companions.
The three of us picked up Huan just before Millhopper Rd., he was riding the route backwards in order to find us. Huan claims to have given blood the previous day, so he wasn't pulling at all (sandbagger) and was thus a non-factor for the remaining miles.
Since I felt as though I hadn't done my fair share of work in the break, I decided to just do a good lead out for Joe in hopes that he would be able to hold Danny to the line. It seems like all the strategy in the world wouldn't have beaten Danny in a sprint with the way he's been riding (I'm sure Huan will debate that point, but I havn't seen him take Danny in a sprint yet either).

•TdF recaps are on the way...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'd say that i am sorry to have missed tuesday's ride, but that would be a lie judging from what i've just read and from what i heard on thursday. i worked tuesday evening/night so i couldn't make it, but was able to get to the thursday ride.
we missed the messel muscle, but to be honest you would have just been delivering more pain to a group already hurting from danny's 31.5 mph pulls in alachua.
it was solid group and we were out taking 24-25.5 mph pulls, w/ lambert putting in a huge pull into the wind. but then danny went to the front and decided to crack the whip. unfortunately(?) susan was put into trouble by his pace and he dropped back and turned around. i say unfortunately, but really it meant that my heart attack was put on hold. my hrm was beginning to melt and smoke because it was registering numbers that i shouldn't see.
after danny dropped we maintained a high pace with naked ed and joe taking painful pulls, at least painful for me. scott attacked on the alachua hills. apparently i wasn't setting high enough tempo. we brought him back and cruised through alachua after picking up huan doing the route backward.
on millhopper little joe attacked coming over I-75 and i joined ira and huan in a 4-man group. the rest of the group was only about 25 meters behind, but we continued to work together on the last hill to keep them back. we picked up danny in the last kilometer or so and he led us out, and again i was just trying to hold his wheel. per usual little joe jumped around me and i couldn't muster a competitive sprint, but second on a tough day was ok.

5count said...

It's good to see others using this space to fill us all in about local rides etc..
You should all take Anthony's que and use the comment area to give your take on things.

(I'm assuming this response was by Anthony (you should sign your comment at the end))

5count said...

Yes, yes, yes Huan...we all know that you have donated blood recently, how can we forget when you remind us about it every time someone else crosses the line before you. But you're right, society is much improved now that there is a pint of your blood out there!
As far as the 58 kph sprint at the end of either a 60 mile or a 160 mile ride...I'll have to take your word for it as I don't see myself doing anything close to a 160 mile ride anytime in the near future.
Thanks for posting, and keeping this blog colorful Huan!

Anonymous said...

I like how Huan ends his post with "HAHAHA."