Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Gainesville Race Day

The University of Florida's cycling team, Team Florida, held their annual race weekend this past Saturday and Sunday here in sunny Gainesville Florida.

With the help of various spectators, we've assembled some pictures to better illustrate the goings on of the weekend.

Cat 5's
Many of our friends from the Gainesville Cycling Club (GCC) showed up to show support for their friends and family. Rodrigo (far left), who raced the Cat. 5 race was there along with his wife Gaby (left).

The Cat. 5 race went well for our two GCC entrants, Rodrigo and Scott. Rodrigo finished 13th on the day, but avenged his DNF from the same race last year. Scott posted his best result of the season finally breaking the top 5. Both guys are riding strongly and should be upgrading before we know it. (side note: Earlier in the day Scott's son, Justin placed 4th in his Juniors race see previous post about Justin)


We've highlighted Scott and Rodrigo coming through the 1st corner.


Cat 4's
Danny had mentioned to me the night before the race that he'd like to try for a prime in order to "open his legs up". Then he said that he would sit in a bit to recover from the effort and hopefully be able to put in a good sprint in the end. Well, that's exactly what he did. He won a prime and then put in such a good sprint in the end that he won the race too.

Things were fast right from the start. The dip in the middle of the course kept us fast on the downhills and sprinting on the uphills. Breaks were attempted on the lead up to the S/F line, but nothing really came close to getting away. Although the cobbles and tight corners created opportunities for disaster, we all managed to keep the rubber side down (until the finish, more on that later).

With only a few laps to go, I knew I had to force myself up towards the front if I wanted any chance of: (1) staying out of trouble, and (2) Getting across the line with a respectable placing. I worked around the outside in the corners to sit in the top 12 or so. Shortly after, Danny made me aware of his presence on my wheel.

I like to think that I worked hard to keep Danny in the front all the way to the last corner (he probably could've done that on his own though). Coming out of the corner, I went wide and I saw Danny launch himself up to the lead. There were plenty of guys with enough legs to put in good sprints, so my sprinting efforts did little more than kept me in the top 20 (I finished 16th). Danny obviously went on to get the win, but I couldn't see him as I was distracted watching Big Phil hitting the deck just off my right shoulder.

CRASH!
I knew that Phil would end up with some pretty good road rash as well as a scuffed up Giro Atmos at the very least. What I didn't know was the affect that his crash would have on our friend and GCC riding companion "Naked Ed" (who was standing on the sidelines watching the festivities).
When Phil (Team Florida) went down in front of Nate (Chain Reaction) (pictured at the left: Phil on the front, Nate sitting 2nd wheel), Nate was forced off the course and barreled into Ed, knocking him unconscious.

Big Phil was okay, aside from the obligatory road rash and need for a new Atmos. Nate had minor cuts and scratches and Naked Ed was taken to the E.R. in the back of an ambulance after drifting in and out of consciousness.

5count is happy to report that Ed is just fine. The paramedic just wanted to run some tests and make sure he was able to enjoy his passion for "full-contact bike race viewing". It'll take more than a cyclist running him over at 30+ mph to keep Ed out of commission.

Most aggressive award goes to...
Jayson O'Mahoney made more than one suicidal attack in the Cat 3 race on Sunday. His finish wasn't indicative of how much heart he rode with, but those who were there saw the Australian sensation make attempt after attempt at getting away, no matter how futile it really was.

All in all...
It was a good weekend at the races. Beautiful weather, good finishes and a great group of local support.


In an unrelated topic...
Some pictures of Joe Brew came into my possession recently. I put them together in somewhat of on homage to Lil Joe Brew in his native environment (collegiate middle distance track).

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Paul,

Great job on the G'Ville race coverage! I have to agree with you, that weekend was one of the best weekends we have had riding in a while.

Scott

Anonymous said...

hey tues/thurs riders:
when are we going to start riding on the road instead of the ellipse?
also, the weekend of march 18 there is a century ride in ocala if anyone is interested. it supports mentoring and scholarship programs through Take Stock in Children.
also, the weekend of the march 11- is there a race that people are going to?

5count said...

Moose,
the weekend of March 11th there will be three races (TT,Circuit, RR) held in the Tampa area. See the link.

I'll be at a wedding so count me out.

Anonymous said...

Let's see if this site can do more than just BS about bike racing.

The speed skater Joey Cheek donated his Olympic winnings to a children's organization.

As most of you know, Joe Brew's brother Ben has gotten very ill. I am donating my prize money from this weekend to the website caringbridge.org , that gives people like Ben hope and connects them to family members and survivors worldwide.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/benbrew

I encourage all bloggers to do their part. We are incredibly lucky to be able to ride our bike as much as we do. Let's give back to those that are not as fortunate.

Thanks

Danny

Anonymous said...

Paul,

Why not spend some of your spare time helping me finish your parents website, instead of doctoring up race photos?

Just a thought!

Also,

Guys in bike shorts should not be aloud to stand with there legs crossed in public, it makes them look... Funny.

Thanks for your time,
-Brent

Anonymous said...

Just want to inform those of y'all who have enquired about our France project, that after a long final videoconference today, I have officially declined the job offer. Strangely enough, both Gaby and I feel some sort of relief, but mostly happiness to know we will stay in Gainesville. We both love it here.

5count said...

I know you never left, but it's good to have you back.

Does this mean that you're now able to spend all of you extra $$$ on more bikes?

Anonymous said...

Actually, most of the available funds will go to build a bike lighter than Jayson's Health Net Giant (non-TT). That's my new goal...

5count said...

If you have enough left over, build me one too.

Anonymous said...

Rodrigo, having that lighter bike won't make you go any faster but it's a fun project nonetheless.

Good luck finding the parts you'll need for a superlight bike build. Much patience is required and your wallet will also be considerably lighter. Email or buzz me about some new goodies...

Anonymous said...

I already know how I'm going to make my bike lighter...I'm going to take my fat A$$ off of it :-)

Rodrigo, I'm glad you guys decided to stay I would have certainly missed you guys!

See you guys tonight!

Scott

Anonymous said...

Useful tidbit of information here:

A fellow weight weenie dweeb in Mallorca was riding with the Skil-Shimano today. Several of the squad was riding prototype Shimano Electronic gruppos. Only info I have is front and rear derailleurs are full electronic. Levers are much leaner than the regular STIs. Apparently a little window on top of the shifter allows you to see what gear you're in. No idea if they're wired or wireless. This stuff still hush hush so he couldn't take photos. I'm sure photos of this stuff will appear around the net soon enough.

Anonymous said...

there actually have been photos of proto-prototype stuff as early as paris-roubaix last year. it came out on cyclingnews.com
the problem they were working out at the time was how to make the motor light enough to be worth it, but durable enough to take the beating of cobbled roads.
i'm sure we'll see more soon.
so, when are we going to start riding out on the road and not at progress energy company????

Anonymous said...

hey Moose, that was the Campy super top secret prototypes on cyclingnews. The Shizitmano stuff hasn't made the net yet... although one of the Gerolsteiner riders is apparently using it in Paris Nice right now...

Anonymous said...

southaustralia,
good call on the brand.
is anyone heading down to the races this weekend?

Anonymous said...

Here ya go moose... I was right on the money days ahead of cyclingnews.com

Dura-Ace Electronic is on the way.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2006/news/03-09