Thursday, August 04, 2005

Aurvoir Joe Brew

Over the past few months, Joe Brew had diligently attended our little tue/thur gathering. He has proven himself to the entire field of A-group GCC riders week in and week out. He has pulled harder, climbed faster and led-out better than most of us on a regular basis. He's always willing to chase and never fails to attack. He brings all of that with him to every ride along with an infectious positive attitude.

Saturday will be Joe's last GCC ride before he heads back up to college at Sewanee, The University of the South in Tennessee. I've only had the privlege of knowing Joe for the past few months, but I; as most people who know Joe, have been very impressed with his drive and motivation. In talking to his dad, Chris, who rides with us often, I've found out that not only is Joe attending college on an academic scholarship, but he is also a distance runner on the school's track team...that's not all...Joe also finds time to compete on the schools ping-pong team (I know, wierd huh) and had one or two part-time jobs. This summer Joe had not only fit in about 200 miles a week on the bike with the club, but he runs like a million miles a week as well...or maybe like 60-80 miles a week. Joe also spent his summer working a landscaping job cause I guess he likes the heat? If I was that motivated when I was 19, maybe I'd be able to put the hurt on him instead.

I know that all of this sounds like a lot of ego stroking, but that's just it...there is no ego. If I wasn't singing the praises of Joe Brew, you wouldn't have any idea of how many things this kid has got going on (and I'm sure there is more than I've heard about). He's a stellar kid...and with that being said, you should all make sure to come out to saturday's GCC ride (8-6) to wish him well and ride along side of him...if you can hold his wheel that is.

I found this magazine at the newstand the other day and thought it was appropriate for Joe's departure. What a coincidence that Joe made the cover of Cycling Today the same week that he leaves for school.



***click on image to enlarge***

Joe has truly earned the Maillot Blanc (white jersey), as well as the respect of all who have ridden with him this summer!

Good Luck this semester Joe, we'll see ya soon!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can only second what Paul has already said about Joe, he is with out a doubt one of the most outstanding persons I have had the pleasure of meeting. We will truly miss is legs on the Tues. Thurs. ride. I wish him all the best, but if you know Joe you know only good things will come of this young man.

Scott
p.s. Joe can you leave me some of your power mints?

Anonymous said...

My first post on this blog - and it is fitting that it is for Joe. It was great riding with you Joe. You are an outstanding rider and person.
Since you are only leaving for college and you will be back next break, it will give us some time to train for your return.

See you when you return

Danny

Anonymous said...

Paul- Thanks for the kind words (and for posting such a flattering picture of me on the "magazine" cover). We've had some good rides, and it's been an honor leading out such a strong sprinter:) I'll make sure to continue reading your thorough updates from Tennessee.

Huan- I accept your challenge and look forward to playing you in ping-pong. If you can move that paddle as fast as you move your mouth, I'm in deep trouble. Seriously though, it's been great riding with someone always willing to go on the attack. I look forward to more failed attempts at beating you next winter.

Danny- Thanks for your kind comments too. You've always been very helpful with your training and tactics advice, and I really appreciate it. I like riding with you because, not only do I get my arse kicked, I get to learn a thing or two about riding bikes also.

Scott- Of course you can have some mints, buddy. But, be careful, we don't want all these GCC doctors (that means you, Danny and Susan) to catch on to the performance-enhancing effects of peppermint and therefore ban it from all Tues/Thurs rides. If you get caught, the mints weren't from me :)

Anthony- I'm looking forward to climbing more hills with (and by with I mean 15 yards behind you) this winter. And congratulations on your recent sprint victories. Now all we gotta do is get you a decent bike, and you'll be set.
---
You wouldn't know that I'm not a superhuman from reading Paul's recent blog entry, but, I should point out that I've never made it to the line first in a big ride with all the big names there (Danny, Huan, Paul, Anthony, that crazy mountain bike guy who came and whooped up on us that one day, Ira, Brett, etc.). Thanks for inflating my ego a bit, Paul, but I've got a ways to go before I can hold my own with all you hammerheads.

If any of you for some reason find yourself in Southeastern Tennessee or you simply get the hanckering to ride the "mountains," some weekend, feel free to get in touch. I won't be able to put you up in a 2-story geust house, but my dorm room floor has always got room for a sleeping bag :)
jbrew at sewanee.edu

*By the way, I think Susanne Muehlschlegel is the one that really deserves the "Cycling Today," cover. She's tougher than all us little pretty-boys combined.

Anonymous said...

joe,
sorry that i was not able to come out for your summer finale. i'm glad i was around for your last tues/thurs ride, though. it is always nice to see joe on the front during a ride. no matter where you are in the line you are guaranteed at least 10 minutes before your nose hits the wind. unfortunately, it is usually 2-3 mph more than i would be pulling, so it is not really a rest.
it has been an honor to ride with such a good young athlete like joe for the summer. great rider, great person. i am sure you will continue to kick ass up in tennessee. see you in the winter.

Anonymous said...

Joe, I am looking forward to ride with your sister Anna. I am tired getting my butt kicked by her younger brother. I know your older sis could kick your ass. GCC will look for alternative rides by the time you get back in the winter. We will scout every hill, every pothole, every bumpy road, dirt roads, cobble stones, ditches, etcc.. and make it part of the rides by the time you are back in town. We will keep challenging you until we all fall off our bikes. See you soon. Lambert

5count said...

it's good to see Lambert commenting! It warms my heart to know that there are so many people checking out the blog...
check out the hit counter at the bottom.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laughs Paul. This is an old post and I don't know how many people will be reading this but this post is closest to my heart. Joe congratulations on the White Jersey and I'm truly sorry to have missed your last week in Gainesville. No not a superhuman but a genetic freak with genes from both Greg Lemond and Mic Jagger. No offense to Joes parents here. Seriously Joe you are truly one of a kind and the suffering would not have been the same this summer without you. There are so many times this summer when we were drooped over the bars suffering that they all kind of run together now. One that I remember well was one of your first rides this summer when you said you weren't in shape yet. For some reason that now escapes me, I convinced you to attack with me from Newbery road with the finish at the millhopper Chevron. We stayed away about five miles until Dan Connaughton and Angela and some guy from out of town chased us down. Not bad for a guy who says he's not in shape. Best of luck and see you soon.