Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Tuesday (8-16)

Well, it's definitely getting darker quicker these days...by the time I got home tonight, it was pretty much sunless. Our rides are going to either have to start earlier, or go a bit shorter here within the next week or two. Like Lambert pointed out tonight, we can still make it in time...but if someone were to have a flat, we'd be cutting things too close.

There was some new blood out on the ride this evening. Rachel Hallum, of the Orlando Road Club had just recently relocated to G-ville to work on her Masters degeree, and Travis (last name unknown) who is an eager 17 year old looking to seriously get into road cycling. Rachel had been racing for a while and plans to do some collegiate racing this coming year with Team Florida. Travis is new to riding in groups, but obviously has a good base of fitness...we just need to educate him on the finer points of the pack dynamics.

As far as the ride went...I'll keep it simple. There were about 15 of us at the start, which is one of the larger size groups that we've had. Shortly after turning north on 239, Lambert attacked hard which opened a flood gate of attacks by Ed, Scott, Danny and Mike R.. That was all it took for us to drop half of the group. Realizing that our first-time participants were dropped, Lambert, Ed and Danny stopped to wait while Myself, Mike R., Scott and Ira slowed to 13 mph so that the group could reform.

Once back together, we headed south on 241 as a civil group...UNTIL, the young Travis "attacked" on the Moby Dick hill while Danny was on the front. Aparently, Danny wasn't havin any of that and launched an incredible pace all the way up the most brutal climb of our tues/thur ride. That was to be the final selection as Danny, Ed, Lambert, Ira, Scott, Mike and Myself would ride it out to the end.

On the way up Millhopper tonight, Bambi strutted out into the middle of the street and stood perfectly still as she stared at us while we approached. We slowed in order to avoid hitting her and she darted off into the woods.

We Quickly ascended the I-75 overpass and without much of a chance to recover, Danny had us sprinting up the last hill of the ride. That accelaration knocked a couple of guys off the back (don't ask me who, I was close to throwing up at that point). We rolled towards the sprint sign as Mike burst into a 30+ mph lead out, followed by Ed who left me with too much road for my sprint. Danny was on my wheel and I let him start the sprint. I was able to hold his wheel as he went around me, but that was it...I was cooked.

Second aint bad considering the early hammering. But Danny has proven to be the man to beat when the going gets tough.









Following the ride I wasn't feeling "tip-top" if you know what I mean. A headache, dizzy and overall not good...I guess I shouldn't try to join in on the hammer-fest on the days that I skip lunch. Let me just nip the inevitable trash-talk in the bud...
Yes, I did call my wife to see if she would pick me up at the gas station and save me from my hellish 3 mile ride home.
No, she wasn't home and I peddaled my weak a** home all by myself.
so I don't want to hear any crap about getting a ride home

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Danny is the man in this fishbowl. What happened last Saturday?

Note: Danny was overheard on Saturday making comments to the effect that the Colavita rider is still only a girl and can be easily beaten.

Result: Danny was soundly beaten by said girl (woman actually) rider and her male breakaway compatriots.

Analysis: Too funny. Consult Hipp riders for training advice.

Anonymous said...

After learning of the injuries sustained at the hand of an "EVIL" Belgain (see list serve "kitten" post), I am suprised that Lambert did not attempt to run "Bambi" over! Although, I was wondering why he had that look of excitement in his eye when we yelled "Deer".

Scott
p.s. I thought I saw Danny leading you out down Millhopper (your lonely ride home) :-)

Anonymous said...

In regards to what Cat5Pro had to say:

I have heard from people that have done our ride, and also partake in the HIPP ride...they have said that our ride can work you over just as hard and sometimes harder than the HIPP.

I'm not trying to stoke the fires of rivalry between the two rides. The HIPP ride has been a long tradition of road cycling in Gainesville and attracks the fastest cyclists in the area. Our ride had only recently turned into the hammer-fest that it now is.

The difference is that the HIPP rides have a larger turnout on average thus allowing it's participants to "sit in" if so desired. There usually isn't any place to "hide" on our rides (especially following attacks that wittle the group to only 5-7 riders).

Ultimately, I like our ride...and those who come out and ride it regularly must have an affinity for it as well. What I don't like, are the people who, on some level, think that we are "taking the easy road" for not going out to the HIPP rides.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, I am in agreement with your comments. Both rides are as difficult as you want to make them. No disrespect towards the North ride here. Have ridden both. Have suffered on both.

What I don't like is cocky riders who smack talk, or are bad sports in general.

PS Paul, your blog is gaining notoriety. I'm just pleased it is cycling related. Maybe you should post it's URL to the GCC list?

5count said...

Cat5Pro,
I've thought about sending the URL out to the GCC, but I'm afraid that I'd become too conscientious about what I'm saying.
The way it is now, I feel like ther are only a dozen or so people reading (wether it's true or not, I don't know).
I'm sure it will eventually evolve though...I just don't want to feel like I'm shoving it down peoples throats. Thanks though, I'm taking your suggestion as a compliment.

P.S. I thought you WERE one of the "cocky, smack-talking" riders???

Anonymous said...

wow, some strong words noted in the comments. hopefully this is just friendly banter.
also good to read about new blood injected into our rides. i like our group, but continuusly suffering at the hands of the same people gets somewhat dreary.
i guess things would be different if i was serving up the suffering, but as it stands, i haven't even been able to make the rides recently, much less attack them.
hope to see you hammerheads out there thurs.
re: training advice. from a scientific standpoint, if i was going to take training advice from somebody it would be the guy with a PhD and MD.

Anonymous said...

re: training advice, I'd rather listen to someone with much racing experience under their belt... how much racing experience does the world champion MD on this ride have? tue/thur millhopper worlds?

re: the rides in this town. look at the riders who frequent the hipp ride. look at the riders who frequent the tue/thur north ride. the hipp ride is where the best and fastest cyclists ride. enough said.

Anonymous said...

i agree, strongest and fastest cyclist in the area are at the hipp rides. never argued that fact and never will.
like i said, hope all was just friendly banter.
i know it was meant that way to cat5pro from this end. have ridden with him regularly recently and enjoy doing so, so thought all was in good humor.
if i have offended, i apologize.

Anonymous said...

great, now we have some sort of east coast-west coast rap feud going here.
no big poppas or tupacs here.
how 'bout that elisa basso?!?

5count said...

Do I need to come in here and mediate between you kids?
This blog is fun (don't get me wrong, I'm having fun reading all the bitchin') but let's not make more out of these rides than necessary.
The North ride is great, and if you like the ride go to it.
The HIPP ride is also great, and if that's more your cup of tea, then ride the HIPP.

The bottom line is, we all find enjoyment in cycling..period.

P.S. Here's a question... if those of you who are so passionate about your views are willing to voice them, then why not be brave enough to go ahead and type your name at the bottom of the comment?