Wednesday, August 10, 2005

GCC weekend (8-6 to 8-7)...

• Well this past weekend was full of great riding.

• Even though saturday morning was overcast and foggy, there was a great turn-out for the ride on the south end of town. I like to think that the number of cyclists in attendance was a direct result of this blog and my email to the GCC list serve. We wanted a good number of folks out for Joe Brew's last ride of the season with us...and we got it!

Saturday started off nice and easy, apparently too easy for Danny who started the attacks only 15 miles into the ride. Of all the rides I've done with GCC, I think that was the first time that I saw attacks go before the rest stop.

All in all it turned out to be a great ride and Huan or Danny won the sprint on Williston Road (depending on which sign we were sprinting to, there was some confussion???).

Joe's ride turned out great and we all wished him well up at school.

• Sunday morning brought georgous weather and it also brought me a cold. With my throat feeling quite swollen, I opted to sit out the ride. I pretty much laid on the couch for the better part of the morning and only got up to go and get some lunch.

I hear from some of the other guys that sunday was about a 75 miler with about 25-30 on the ride. Ryan Sailor, who wasn't riding his single speed, pretty much beat the tar out of everyone in the closing miles. I wish I could've been there.

• Some other notes:
- Jayson O'Mahoney was giving me crap about this blog on saturday...Jason, if your reading this now, then you're obviosly jealous. And by the way, I heard you got dropped on sunday's ride.
- Danny sent me over some pictures from rides gone by, so I'll be posting some of those when they're appropriate.

2 comments:

5count said...

I've gone back in and corrected the spelling of Jayson O'Mahoney's name...please make note.

I would also like to retract the statement in this post about Jayson being dropped on sunday's ride, apparently Jayson suffered a mechanical in the closing miles...he did not bonk.

We here at 5count strive to bring you the latest and most acurate accounts of local bike rides. However, we do retain the right to post whatever the hell we want. These posting may contain personal beliefs, skewed versions of the truth, playful name trashing and complete fabrications.
We'd like to thank our readership for your continued support.

-editorial staff

Anonymous said...

re: sunday's ride.
ryan was toying with us from chestnut hill on. i drove hard up chestnut to try to keep huan from attacking and ryan hit the gas as i swung off at the top. after we made the right he put in several accelerations that left us scrambling for his wheel. things settled down until we turned onto millhopper. from there it was him attacking then drifting back until we caught him then attacking again. at some point lambert went off the front. ryan followed a little while later and that was the last we saw of him till the finish. a small group of us chased for a while and i had misguided dreams of trying to catch him one more time before the finish. it ended up being a strong, but small group together down to the finish. danny, lambert, alex, and i were there. i was barely conscious so i don't even know if huan or anyone else was there. danny took the sprint from our group for second and alex let me have third; very gracious as i had worked my butt off in the chase group. anyway, all in all a good ride. if anyone is interested, there is a race this weekend down at santos that consists of a 7-mile mtn bike loop, 33 miles on the road, and another 7-mile loop on the trails.
hope to see you guys on thursday, but this night shift is cramping my group-ride-style.
peace