Monday, August 15, 2005

Ouch!


Picture of the Day...
Ouch! this is no way to finish a race! A 45+ cyclist face plants while racing in the 44th Manhattan Beach Grand Prix in California over the weekend. for full race story, click this post's title






Saturday's ride
A nice day, if you like riding your bike in hell. By that I mean it was HOT, HOT, HOT. But I guess we've all become accustom to hot days in the saddle...or at least we've come to accept the hot days in the saddle.

Our ride was graced by Rebecca Larson, who is back from a busy season of racing professionally with the Colavita/Cooking Light cycling team. Rebecca recently placed 6th against the best in America at the 2005 U.S. Elite National Road Race Championships.


Another odd ride as there were attacks prior to the rest stop. I'm not sure what the catalyst was, but never-the-less, we were tearing down 441 in High Springs at 28-30 mph for the final eight miles before we stopped to refuel. At one point there was an effort to slow things down, but Lambert attacked again bringing the speed back up to 30 mph. With about three or four miles before the break, I got gapped when someone about 4 places in front of me sat up. When nobody tried to close the gap I sprinted back up to the end of the remaining cyclists at 35 mph. Needless to say, I was happy to get to the gas station and attempt to cool down.

There was talk of keeping the ride civil on the way home due to the frenetic pace up to that point...and for the first 3 miles it was. But just as I was rotating back to the rear, there was an acceleration at the front. I was now looking at having to chase up to the group AGAIN. I upped my pace and still wasn't closing on them, so after looking behind me and seeing that nobody was coming with I jumped out of the saddle and sprinted again up to the lead group. A few more did eventually bridge the gap as well, but that settled the lead group for the remainder of the ride.

I was unfortunately at the front of the group as we began to climb Chestnut Hill. I tried to a set a pace high-enough so as to deter the masochistic hammerheads from sprinting up to the top. Half-way up, I ran out of gas and watched as half of the group floated past me. Knowing that this was going to be THE move, I wrecked myself to maintain contact with them as we crested the hill and began the descent. I thought the lactic acid in my legs was going to burn through my shorts...but I held on.

At this point there were just 8 of us: Rebecca L., Danny M., Brett M., Jayson O., Mike R., Ira T., Naked Ed and Myself. Ed pulled off for a nature break just as we turned onto Millhopper, I guess when you gotta go, you gotta GO! I was thankful that nobody attacked over the I-75 overpass, cause I would have surely burst into flames right there on the side of the road. However, shortly after all the climbing was behind us, Jayson smartly attacked and caught our tired group off gaurd. Rebecca and Mike R. were the only ones to chase him down and the rest of us half-heartedly tried to maintain a high pace with the dream that they would come back to us.

We kept the 3 leaders within a hundred yards, but that was as close as they would get. Brett came to the front and put in a good chase at 28 mph but when he pulled off none of us could maintain it...thus ending our ride for the day. Apparently Mike didn't contest the sprint, and Rebecca was unsure of the sprint sign, but even with Jayson's great attack in the closing miles, my bet is that Rebecca was still the best on the day.

RESULTS:
1) Jayson O'Mahoney........
2) Rebecca Larson............ s.t.
3) Mike Robinson............. s.t.
4) Brett Miller................... 00:37
5) Danny Muehlschlegel... s.t.
6) Paul Messal.................. s.t.
7) Ira Thorpe.................... s.t.

***final results are based on hearsay and post-ride BS. They are in NO way "official". Readers should not attempt to refute these results as the editorial staff had basically made them up. Thank-you for reading.

As far as sunday goes...
I 86'd the GCC ride and took my wife, Jen, out to San Felaso for some leisurely mountain biking. This was my first time out on the fat tires in quite a while and the first time my wife had been on any kind of bike in even longer.

The heat and gradual climbs on the unshaded single-track sections quickly got the best of Jen and we cut the ride short and headed back for the parking lot. I still managed to wipe out while trying to be Billy-bad-a** on the power-line trail descent. A couple of scratches, some sore muscles and a bruised shin (and ego), but nothing major. I think we'll try it again next saturday, hopefully with better results.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to have missed Sat's ride (that damnable job 'o mine - but then how else could I buy new tubes??).
The suffering sounds lovely -- past tense that is.
We missed you on Sunday's ride (as we usually do - ye whom is prone to one ride per weekend and that being of the northern ilk). On the whole Sun was a fairly well controlled outing.
Hope your time rolling in the dirt cured you of that inclination and we will see you back on the road this weekend.
Perhaps you can even convince Jen to join us on the road:)

Anonymous said...

also sorry to have missed the suffering. i did a nice little road ride with my lovely bride on saturday. sunday was my day to suffer, though it was not with you guys.
i did the trail to trail race in ocala. i saw ryan sailor there, though only at the start line and then the finish.
it was brutally hot and the mix of road racing tactics and then mustering the concentration to ride mtb trails was tough.
i got off to a brutal start on the first mountain leg as all classes started together. i got stuck behind a long line that quickly turned into a slow trudge the first few miles. now, i can't beat those guys that were in the first group, but i can stay darn close on those trails, so, bad starting position really hurt.
when i got out onto the road, i quickly linked up with a couple of people i know. we tried bridging up to the next group on the road, but they were just too far ahead. we sat up and waited for some people that we had passed on our attempt. from there we were a group of about 6-10, with people occasionally dropping briefly before bridging up. it was hard getting everyone to work as there were a few people who would accelerate 3-4 mph when it came there turn to pull, but could only hold it for about 15 seconds. eventually it came to about 3 or 4 of us pulling the group consistently, at about 23-25 pace. i tried to attack the group on our last 10 mile lap on a hill, but i couldn't get anyone to come with me. it was too far from the finish, so i sat up. at the transition to the last mtb section i rode with a guy who had been in my group on the road. i attacked him a couple of times on the technical section, but he was up to it. i was getting so tired that it was tough to stay on the trail through the last single track section. i biffed when i clipped a tree on a tight section about 1/4 mile from the finish. he came around me and i couldn't catch him. he may have beaten me in a sprint anyways, but it would have been nice to find out.
all-in-all a solid performance for me. i took tenth in a race that ryan didn't podium in (crazy fast), so i can't feel too bad. ryan, if you read this, you still da man, though. my road group averaged 23.8 mp over 32 miles.
see you guys soon.

5count said...

Anthony,
Good work man! It sounds like a lot of hard work, but I'm glad to hear that you were out there racing.
just for the record, I think you would have taken that guy in the sprint.