Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Saturday (7-30)

Saturday's GCC ride met on the north side of town and saw a great turnout. About two dozen cyclists started the A-ride on the beautiful saturday morning.

A photographer from the Alachua County Tourist Development Council had drivin out ahead of us to get some shots for an upcoming poster promoting the outdoor activities in Alachua county. I timed things just right to make sure I was on the front of the group as we rode past the "paparazzi". The photographer followed us and got a few more shots before turning around.

The ride ended up being about 70 miles. The first half of the ride was a comfortable pace that allowed for a lot social chit-chat amongst the group and the temperatures weren't as hot as they have been either. We stopped to re-fuel in Waldo (I think?) and then headed back for G-ville.

After tackling the hills of Alachua every tues/thurs, this ride suited me just fine. The long miles weren't hard because they were nice and flat. That left a lot of people with juice in thier legs at the end of the ride. My rear tire started to go mushy with about 10 miles to go. I was going to just let it go and hopfully make it back to the Chevron, but it practically rolled off the rim when we turned a corner. I didn't think the group would stop that close to the end of the ride, but everyone did (thanks to all of you who waited, I do appreciate it!). With the help of Lambert, it was a quick change and we were back on the road.

A few small attacks went, but nothing serious. The pace was high as we turned onto 441 and contined to be quick all the way down 43rd. Ryan Sailor, who was riding his single speed (with 42x15 gearing), knew that a group sprint wouldn't suit him; seeing as how he was turning about 500 rpm's. He snuck off the front with about a mile to go and got a gap. Nobody was chasing him back and the sprint sign kept getting closer. When I saw Joe Brew jump out of the saddle and start to ride away I figured that he was my last chance to catch Ryan.

Joe's chase turned into a 32 mph lead out...and just before we made contact with the fast spinning Sailor, I jumped around Joe and took the sprint. There would have been no chance in hell if Ryan was on his Madone, but I'll take 'em when I can get 'em.

All in all a great ride...cool(er)...long...not hilly...and a good finish for me. I treated Joe to a cool drink at the Chevron as thanks for the killer lead out.

No comments: